VISA, Insurance, Healthcare


The main factors which determine whether you need visa to Hungary or not are your nationality and the expected length of your stay.

Since Hungary is a member state of the European Union, citizens of the EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries are not required to have a visa in order to enter. The only documentation they required to have is passport or identity card.

Citizens of non-EU and non-EEA citizens must apply for a resident visa for study purposes at the nearest Hungarian Embassy or Consulate.

What to do:

  1. Citizens of the EU and EEA:

Students from countries of EU and EEA (European Economic Area) must report their address and apply for the registration certificate in Hungary after getting registered at school.

Citizens of the following countries:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela: Students of the above countries must apply for the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.

For detailed information, please, contact your embassy or consulate or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

2. For students with a VISA:

Resident visa for study purposes is to be obtained before departure from your country. Among others, you must present the Letter of Acceptance from BME, the proof of payment of the tuition fee, proof of your accommodation in Budapest and a passport valid at least until 30 days. The process takes two weeks or more. The visa will be valid for 30 days only, and after your arrival in Budapest you will have another 30 days to apply for a residence permit (after registration at the university). Obtaining the visa may take as long as months. Get prepared for it!

For further information contact the Office of Immigration and Nationality  or visit on of the following website.