VISA, Insurance, Healthcare


The main factors which determine whether you need visa to Hungary or not are your nationality and the expected length of your stay.

Since Hungary is a member state of the European Union, citizens of the EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries are not required to have a visa in order to enter. The only documentation they required to have is passport or identity card.

Citizens of non-EU and non-EEA citizens must apply for a resident visa for study purposes at the nearest Hungarian Embassy or Consulate.

What to do:

Citizens of the EU and EEA:

Students from countries of EU and EEA (European Economic Area) must report their address and apply for the registration certificate in Hungary after getting registered at school.

Citizens of the following countries:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela: Students of the above countries must apply for the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.

For detailed information, please, contact your embassy or consulate or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

For students with a VISA:

Resident visa for study purposes is to be obtained before departure from your country. Among others, you must present the Letter of Acceptance from BME, the proof of payment of the tuition fee, proof of your accommodation in Budapest and a passport valid at least until 30 days. The process takes two weeks or more. The visa will be valid for 30 days only, and after your arrival in Budapest you will have another 30 days to apply for a residence permit (after registration at the university). Obtaining the visa may take as long as months. Get prepared for it!

For further information contact the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing  or visit on of the following website.



Medical care for citizens of the European Economic Area (EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) is provided on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card. The citizens of these countries are entitled to receive the same treatment under the same conditions as the residents of the above countries.

In case of foreigners studying in Hungary, entitlement to health care services in Hungary is restricted to those foreign nationals who pursue their studies full-time at an institution of secondary or higher education and whose student status is based on an international agreement or a fellowship granted by the Hungarian Ministry of Human Capacities.

First aid and emergency medical care are free for foreigners.

Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Program provides you with health insurance during your studies. You can sign a temporary health insurance for the first semester after registration to BME. During the first semester, you need to apply for your permanent health insurance, covered by the scholarship program. For more info about this process, refer to the TAJ card page of the International Mentor Team.

For further information visit the following website.

Fee-paying students can apply for the Studium health insurance package of the Generali Insurance Co. which covers the cost of curing and the necessary medical treatment resulting from diseases or accidents. The company also covers 50% of the price of purchasable medicine prescribed by the doctor.

Except for emergency treatments, the insurance company covers the cost of only the treatments which are carried out by Szent Kristóf Szakrendelő Kft (1117 Budapest, Fehérvári út 12.) or hospitalisation ordered by this health centre.